As we celebrate Millwall’s 125th year, we look at a significant player from each decade who has been part of the history of Millwall FC
In the early 1880’s a group of young lads from Scotland came to London to find work.
They found employment at Morton’s jam factory in the West Ferry Road on the Isle of Dog’s and within a few years had formed Millwall Rovers.
On Saturday 3rd October 1885 Millwall Rovers played their first ever game which they lost 5-0 against Fillebrook
As we celebrate Millwall’s 125th year, we look at a significant player from each decade who has been part of the history of Millwall FC.
1880’s Duncan Hean
Duncan Hean was born in 1862 in Dundee, Scotland.
He moved to London in around 1884 and joined his elder brother, David, working at J.T Morton’s
Duncan was was of the founder members of Millwall Rovers and is believed to be the person who named the club Rovers.
Playing at inside right Hean was certainly the most skillful player the club had at the time and around whom the first Millwall side from Morton’s Jam Factory was built.
He was the club’s first ever captain and had such a love of football and more importantly Millwall Rovers that he wore the clubs initials on his shirt.
Hean was part of the Millwall Rovers teams which won the East End Senior Cup three years running in the 1880’s
The East End Senior Cup can be seen in today in our trophy cabinet as we were awarded the trophy to keep.
He was unfortunately forced to retire from the game in 1890 after several injuries.
He died in Poplar in August 1892 aged just 30, due to complications which arose from injuries received while playing in his short Millwall football career.
Duncan Hean (1885-1890)
Millwall career (competitive games only)
F A Cup: 2 appearances
Other Competitions: 14 appearances – 1 goal